At the Law Office of Steven R. Smith, with over 30 years of experience exclusively in the field of accidents, we handle cases involving all types of personal injuries. The most common types of cases are motor vehicle accidents. These can be a car, truck, or bus, or a pedestrian or bicyclist struck by a car, truck, or bus. After an accident, you need the skilled representation of a knowledgeable personal injury accident attorney to represent your case assertively. Without an experienced attorney from the very start, insurance companies will take advantage and try to destroy the value of your case.
There are crucial steps that must be taken right from the start and cutoff dates which can't be exceeded. You can get an aggressive approach from the Law Office of Steven R. Smith and your case can benefit from our legal team's experience right from the start. When you need the experience and guidance of an auto accident lawyer, we are here to provide the assistance you deserve. Get in touch with us for fierce advocacy in New York, Long Island, and the surrounding areas of Hempstead, Westbury, Queens, Hicksville, and Mineola.
Steps to Take After a Car Wreck
Here are just a few things you should keep in mind after a car accident or an accident involving any kind of automobile:
- Never tell anyone at the scene of the accident that the accident was your fault. Wait until your attorney investigates to determine whether the accident was totally, partially, or not your fault at all.
- Take photographs and video at the scene of the accident. Skid marks on the road, placement of vehicles on the road, stop signs, overhanging branches, double-parked cars, and damage to each vehicle help prove who is at fault.
- Call the police to the accident scene even if the other person offers to pay for your damage out of their pocket so that their insurance rates would not go up. They may change their mind later.
- Go to the emergency room to get checked out, even if you are just shaken up. Many times your body is so tense and upset that you don't realize that you suffered an injury. When your case is ready to be settled, the insurance company always tries to say that you couldn't really be injured since you didn't go to the hospital after the accident.
- Consult with us immediately. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is no substitute for good legal advice. Do not speak with any insurance company, whether it be yours or the other vehicle's insurance company, until you speak with our office first. We will report the accident for you and make sure that neither insurance company twists your statement to be used against you. We will make sure that all required documents are filed on time and we will strive to protect your rights. We are your complete personal injury service.
Your Legal Rights & Responsibilities
No-Fault Medical & Lost Earnings Coverage
In New York, when you are involved in an automobile accident, whether you are a driver, passenger, pedestrian, or bicyclist (but not ordinarily a motorcyclist, although there may be some exceptions), your medical bills will be paid through "No-Fault" automobile insurance. However, an application is required to be filed within 30 days of the accident, and while some attorneys charge their clients a fee for this service, we at the Law Office of Steven R. Smith never charge a fee for assisting in your No-Fault claim and always file your application on time. More importantly, there are questions on the form which require an expert response, or else they will be twisted around to hurt your case later.
If you are in an accident with a motor vehicle that has no insurance, did you know that there is still a way to obtain monetary compensation for your injuries? Yes—if you have your own policy, by law, you are required to be provided with at least $25,000 coverage under the "Uninsured Motorist" portion of your policy. Even if you don't have your own policy, there is a system set up to provide $25,000 in coverage. However, to be eligible for this, your insurance company must be put on notice of this potential situation. At the Law Office of Steven R. Smith, we always timely notify the insurance company so that they cannot claim that they were not aware of this potential claim.